Well, there it is! The iPhone was really released today and they called it iPhone 5 (just like everyone is expecting.) Aside from that, all the rumors and leaked images regarding the screen size, new port and design are found accurate. Of course, I don’t know if it’s the prototype-hunters was good or this is just another planned-trick by the Cupertino company. (It depends upon you.) By the way, here it is in white and black color:
Well, as foretold (based of leaked images), the iPhone 5 really has bigger screen. Or shall I say “longer”? Its screen has the same width with the older iPhone 4S except it increases it height (giving you a “taller” area of enjoyment.) According to its official page, the iPhone 5 is 18% thinner, 20% lighter and 12% less volume. Now, it has a 4-inch multi-touch widescreen display with a resolution of 1136 x 640. The retina display feature of the new iPad and Macbooks are also present on the iPhone 5. The screen color are more vibrant too.
This version is now powered by the Apple A6 processor which is said to be twice as fast compared with the iPhone 4S’ A5. It has LTE for next level mobile data connectivity but unfortunately, it has no NFC support that everyone was expecting.
iPhone 5’s iSight camera remains 8-megapixel. Many are disappointed with that because we are expecting a “better” camera than the old one. But at least, Apple made this capable of recording 1080p HD video. And it can do panoramic photos too! Impressed?
They have also redesigned their old-fashioned earphones and you don’t call it that way anymore. It is now called earpods which made fans happy. This new earpods will be available to all Apple products requiring it. Another thing you can plug-in and out to this new iPhone is the new 9-pin Lightning dock connector. That connector is designed to be reversible. Meaning, you can plug it either way.
Price and Availability in the Philippines
Although it is reported that iPhone 5 will start its shipping on September 21 in the US, we still don’t know when it will be available here in the Philippines. But one thing is for sure, Globe and Smart are now busy preparing for the launch of this smartphone in our country. About the pricing, here is an estimate from TechPinas:
iPhone 5 16GB w/o contract – Php 33,000 to Php 37,000
iPhone 5 32GB w/o contract – Php 38,000 to Php 42,000
iPhone 5 64GB w/o contract – Php 43,000 to Php 49,000
Apple iPhone 5 Technical Specifications
- iOS 6 Operating System
- Retina display, 4-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front
- Apple A6 Processor
- 1GB RAM
- 8 MegaPixels, 2364×2448 resolution with autofocus and LED flash rear camera
- 1080p Full HD, 30 frames per second
- 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera for FaceTime
- aHD video (720p) up to 30 frames per second
- Ports: 3.5 mm audio jack, new 9-pin Lightning dock connector
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0, LTE
- 16GB, 32GB and 64GB storage options
- Accelerometer, Digital Compass, Proximity, 3-axis Gyroscope sensors
- Other: Nano-SIM card support, ships with Apple EarPods with Remote, Mic, Storage and travel case, Lightning to USB cable
- Black with Black anodized aluminum back case
- White with bare aluminum back case
- 112 grams